Table of contents
The first and most important thing (as I repeat in almost every article I write) is to set the goals we want to achieve with our marketing efforts. Analogous to any action we take in life, if we start acting on a hunch, it will usually get us nowhere. To start building a house we need a zoning plan and an architectural design, and to bake a cake we need a recipe.
The same scheme applies to marketing. If you properly set the goals you want to achieve, you are more likely to choose meaningful marketing activities that will then allow you to meet those goals. Such goals are called KPIs (key performance indicators) and we can set them in several ways. You can read about how to do this. in the article “Campaign KPIs – what are they and how to set them?“.
In short, campaign KPIs are specific indicators that allow you to evaluate the performance of a marketing campaign in a measurable and objective way. They are specific data, numbers or metrics that allow you to understand how well a campaign is meeting certain goals. KPIs can vary depending on the type of campaign and the goals you want to achieve. They can include aspects such as increased website traffic, increased conversions, increased brand awareness or increased sales.
Types of online advertising
We can distinguish between several areas of objectives that we achieve through Internet advertising. As a rule, we achieve each of them by means of a different channel or activity, while you must be aware that the better integrated together the activities in different areas, the more effective will be the activities in each of them, since these areas together affect each other to a greater or lesser extent. I’ll list the goals I’m writing about, followed by the tools with which you can achieve these goals:
Increase brand awareness – involves attracting the attention of potential customers and increasing brand recognition. To achieve such a goal, we use the types of activities that will work well at the beginning of the sales funnel.
Generating website traffic – involves getting users to the company’s website and then presenting them with an offer, a sale or encouraging them to leave data.
Increase sales or conversions – involves encouraging recipients to make purchases or take other desired actions, such as registering for a service, downloading an app or leaving contact information.
Building a customer base and loyalty – involves creating relationships with already acquired customers by providing them with valuable content, special offers or loyalty programs. Such an initiative often translates into increased customer engagement.
Generating leads (customers) – involves encouraging recipients to share their contact information. This enables you to carry out further communication with them and reach users at an advanced stage of the sales funnel.
Generating leads (leads) – is a way to increase customer engagement.
Building authority – involves publishing valuable content, such as blog articles or instructional videos, in order to gain the trust of customers and be recognized as an authority in the industry.
Interaction with customers – involves maintaining an active presence on social media as well as other channels to answer their questions and solve their problems.
Growth of market share – involves covering a larger share of the market by winning over competitors or new customers.
Promoting new products/services – Using online marketing to market new products or services, communicating their benefits and attracting customer attention.
Channels of digital marketing
If you have set the goals you want to achieve, we can move on to choosing the tools you will use to achieve them. Online marketing can be roughly divided into several segments that you can use in your advertising efforts. The most popular of these are:
- social media – what a horse everyone can see. But for those who have been living under a rock for the past decade or so, social media are online platforms that allow users to create and share content and interact with other community users. E.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. Social media is a tool you should be using to build your brand image and achieve long-term outreach goals. It is also a great place to engage the community gathered around your brand in discussion and exchange of ideas.
- performance marketing – performance marketing is the promotion of content in a billing model based on effects, such as clicks or ad views. Ads can be displayed on social media or websites, as well as on search engines like Google or Bing. This type of marketing will work best for event promotions or to increase brand visibility in a competitive market. It’s also a great tool for informing potential customers about your products or services. The goals you will achieve with this type of promotion are: generating traffic to your website, acquiring leads and conversions, and making sales. You can read more about this type of marketing in the article titled. “Performance marketing“
- content marketing – this type of promotion is based on creating valuable and attractive content. These include blog articles, tutorials, infographics or videos. Quality content makes it possible to attract customers’ attention and build customer engagement. Content marketing is mainly used to build authority and increase brand awareness.
- e-mail marketing – involves sending personalized e-mails containing offers, news or product information. Depending on the designed content, it can be a sales mailing, or fulfill other purposes. With the help of e-mail marketing, you can maintain a relationship with your customers and encourage them to buy or inform them about current promotions.
- influencer marketing – working with influencers can help increase your brand recognition in a short period of time. It will also enable you to reach the right target group. Especially in the case of influencers who operate in a specific industry, the target group usually consists of users interested in a particular area. Therefore, campaigns with influencers will be great for image-building activities, as well as increasing reach.
- affiliate marketing – this type of marketing involves creating a network and an affiliate program. Entrepreneurs, creators or bloggers promote your products or services in exchange for a commission, usually derived from sales. This solution will work well in increasing sales of your products or services. However, it is a long-term solution that will take some time before you can fully enjoy the benefits of it.
- webinars and podcasts – holding webinars or recording podcasts on industry topics, will enable you to build brand authority and increase customer engagement. With their help, you will show yourself from a professional side and convince potential customers of the solutions you offer, as well as cooperation.
- Discount codes and special offers – making unique discount codes or special offers available only to online customers. This can encourage them to buy and also to order again. For example, time-limited discount codes will encourage the user to place an order before it expires. This is a sales-oriented solution, but it also works effectively in brand recall.
- remarketing – is a type of marketing that allows you to reach users who have interacted with your ad or visited your website. It’s an effective tool for products or services characterized by an extended purchase decision. With remarketing, you can remind your audience about your company, for example, when they are at the stage of choosing a product. You can also display ads to people who have potentially already consumed the products they have purchased or need a repeat service.
The types of promotion are many, and the choice is not always as obvious as it might seem. If you want to professionally explore your brand’s budget possibilities and choose the right promotion channels, use the services of Digital Agency The agency primarily deals with the planning and implementation of online marketing activities. These can consist of brand building, search engine advertising, public relations, creating marketing communications, optimizing online campaigns or data analytics. The agency’s marketing department will assess budget allocation, recommend solutions in ppc advertising and make any changes to the website.
Marketing strategist and SEM specialist with experience in team management. He has been involved in performance marketing for several years. His favorite area of interest is data analysis.